Thursday, December 9, 2010

Back to School

Okay, okay.  There was a really, really, really good reason for me missing my second blog post yesterday that I promised.
 
See, right around 10:30 am, Adam received a phone call from Siebel Institute of Technology.  And, that created a bit of a vortex in my brain for the remainder of the day.  Maybe a black hole.  I'm not brushed up on my theoretical physics.
 
Back story... when Adam separated from Pella Corp, we discussed whether he should sign up for the WBA International Diploma Program (a 12-week brewing technology course) through Siebel since he'd be without a job... perfect time to go back to school, right?  However, when he contacted Siebel for the readiness assessment, he was told that he could certainly apply for the waiting list, however, typically people did not get into the class once they were on the waiting list.
So to receive the phone call but no know why... it was a test in patience yesterday.  Early afternoon, Adam finally made contact with Siebel and found that a spot had opened and that he was accepted into the program.  (Hence, my "black hole"... I was vacillating between being excited for Adam and having panic attacks... ha!)
 
Suddenly yesterday became a whirlwind of "can we still make this work?", "do I still want to do this?", and "why wouldn't he do this?"  After much discussion, Adam responded that he would take the spot.
 
The WBA IDP program begins February 7 and runs through April 29, 2011.  For the first seven weeks of the program, Adam will be taking brewing and brewing technology classes in Chicago.  From there, he will fly to Munich, GERMANY, and spend five weeks in Munich taking classes and touring Europe.
 
We are both very excited for him for this opportunity, of course, but as with anything big like this, there is much to take care of.  For instance, Adam will be gone for 12 weeks, but out of the country for 5 of those weeks.  We have discussed how often we can visit each other while we he is in Chicago, and have also discussed Skype-ing so that he is able to see me and his two beautiful girls.  We are also responsible for his lodging and food expenses while he is in both Chicago and Munich, so there are a number of "pre" things that need to be taken care of in the next two months.  And, beyond that, I will need to learn how to be a "single parent" while also trying to work as many hours as are available to me so that I'm able to support our family.
 
I would ask that you be excited for Adam... this is truly one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for him and I'm so glad that he'll be able to do this.  I also would ask that you pray for our family... so that we can stay a cohesive unit even though we will be missing our hub, and pray for me and the girls so that we are able to survive the 12 weeks together without Adam.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Skype is a wonderful way to keep in touch. This morning I talked w/ my niece and nephew while they were at my parents house decorating cookies. Kya, my niece kept getting closer and closer to the web cam and was confused as to why we didn't have any snow!