Tuesday, December 22, 2009

One Visit Too Many

I thought I would write a blog post to update you on my hives sitch.

I had my steroid shot at 12:30 and by 1:30 pm, my body was on fire.  Bad, bad, bad.  By 2:30 pm, I was able to get the girls down for a nap so I took my next dose of Benadryl and laid down too.  An hour later and my hives were looking a lot better.

However, tonight we had an appointment and on the way there, Julia puked all over herself and her coat and the DVD player and... yah.  It was disgusting.  This would be about the time my hives started to act up again in a big, bad way... basically, I was having a stressful moment deal with a husband screaming about puke (sorry, Adam, I love you, but you were yelling loudly about the puke) and a kid who was covered in puke... trying to clean her up in misty 30-some degree weather... oh, yah, my hives loved that.

By 6 pm I was having a full-on hives attack again and I could hardly drive back home.  I dropped Adam and the kids off and went straight to urgent care.  By the time the doctor saw me, my hands, feet, and face were swelled up bad with hives all over them.  (My whole body was/is covered in them, including inside my ears and even my lips now.)  They gave me a shot of Benadryl, a shot of epinephrine, and two pills of some sort that I don't recall what they were but, hey, that combo seems to be helping.  After about an hour, my body was calmed back down again and my face (minus my lip) had returned to normal size and not so hive-y.  I am not terribly itchy right now which is good; just in a lot of pain.  But, it is not bad pain... just that achy muscle pain.  I am to keep taking Benadryl pills and then go see my doctor again tomorrow.

We hope Julia was just suffering car sickness or something; she seems fine now and hasn't puked again and doesn't have a fever.  And Raven?  Well, she's a peach.  Good news for the day amidst all the crap: she slept 10 hours straight last night.  Wow!!!  That will be helpful when we move her to big sister's room (Adam is nearly done with the bunkbeds).

Here's hoping that tomorrow is a better day.  Through it all I remember that God is good and that there are lessons to be learned in all of this.  Today's lesson?  As much as I like to think I have an iota of control over my life, I really, really don't. 

Off to bed soon; will let you know how I'm doing tomorrow.

erin

ps. Mom and MIL... I had just laid down for a nap when you tried to chat me... sorry I missed you!
pps.  I do not have shingles.

No comments: