Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Hiveville

I have some fun and positive posts coming soon full of great pictures and videos of the girls.  However, this blog is about my life too and well, I need some prayers.  On Sunday afternoon I started developing a case of hives (possible due to a beer?  but not sure; it could be anything, really).  They got progressively worse overnight so I went to the doctor yesterday.  They gave me a shot of steroids and a prescription for Prednisone... low enough doses of each to make sure I could continue breastfeeding, but hopefully high enough to send the hives packing.

Fast forward to this morning and my hives are worse still.  Sleeping last night was next to impossible, and today I'm light headed and dizzy... not a surprise since the hives have climbed up my neck and have attacked my face and my scalp.  (Of course I can't help but have thoughts every now and again that Adam will come home at lunch to find me passed out from shock and the girls screaming and crying.)  I called the doctor again today in tears... I am not just itchy, but my hives sting and burn and some are really painful too.  It is so bad that Raven nursing hurts and itches terribly and simply carrying Julia from one room to the other sends my hip and arms into a painful itch attack.

I am headed back into the clinic while Adam is home for lunch for another steroid shot in hopes that I will start to find relief.  I also told the nurse that if I needed to 'pump & dump' (due to a higher dosage) so that the hives went away quicker, I would do that, because seriously, I cannot function.  Writing or putting away the dishes or washing my hands hurts, walking causes my clothes to lightly graze my skin which causes me to itch, etc., etc.  So, if you pray, prayers would be appreciated.  I know hives doesn't sound like it should be all that terrible to deal with, but it's difficult to handle when trying to take care of two small children.

erin

No comments: