Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Edit: Eating Crow



I felt the need to write an edit/update to this post. I got a little ahead of myself in hitting the Publish button.

I will own one of these someday in the next few years. I am sure of it. Nothing like eating one's own words.

What I didn't add was that I have been doing quite a bit of research lately on the best family vehicles for 3+ kids. True, we only have 2 right now and I am not pregnant or any such crazy thing, but I'm all about planning for the future.

While I never *wanted* to own a minivan, it is hard to deny how truly a "good" deal they are. For one, they cost about 1/2 as much as the large SUVs. (We considered an Expedition or Suburban for about 5 seconds until we saw the cost... um, $40,000? NO WAY.) For two, they have a lot more room than the crossovers that promise room for 7 people, but then, HELLO, WHERE DO YOU PUT THE LUGGAGE? Oh, yah. And they are still CHEAPER than crossovers.

Goodness knows I don't want to be a minivan-driving mom, but I am also not stupid. (Or I like to think I am not stupid.) After a bit of research, I will admit I have my heart set on a minivan... but not just ANY minivan. We WILL (barring any unforeseen reasons) be purchasing a 2007 or newer Toyota Sienna. That is the picture above... it is a Toyota Sienna. The reviews are amazing on them, I not longer feel tied to Ford products, and there is the actual TEST (and not just promise) of room for 7 PLUS LUGGAGE FOR 7. Um, cool!

So anyway... now that I know what we want, we have plenty of time to plan and save for one so that when/if #3 comes along or when the Escape conks out or when we are just plain sick of cramming all of our stuff into the Escape or when we go on our first REALLY LONG DRIVE as a family of 4 and Adam freaks out because he can't lay back and take a nap... well, then we can move to purchase the Sienna. Fun!

(If you are interested in reading the history of the idiom "Eating crow", Wikipedia provides an abundance of information here.)

No comments: