Monday, September 14, 2009

Starting at the Beginning

Good morning!
 
A fresh change of gown and the ability to walk on my own is a wonderful experience after laying in bed for almost 24 hours straight.  (I suppose, close to 30, as I was in bed the night before too...!)

Raven has just finished nursing and I have new bedding and such, and I plan to catch a cat nap yet before starting my day, but thought I'd write a short post.  I have a number of things running through my mind that I want to write down and every time I close my eyes after Raven nurses, the notes start running through my brain.

As you might have read by now, I was scheduled for C-section this morning (we'd actually be getting up right about now and getting ready to leave for the hospital).  However, Raven and my body had different plans yesterday morning, and after a quick trip to the bathroom, I laid back in bed at 4:50 am, and a minute or two later I experience the "gush" or "whoosh".  I quite possibly might have said something I don't want my daughter repeating and that was enough to wake Adam up.  He said, "What's wrong?"  I replied, "My water broke."  Not, "I think my water broke" or "I felt a trickle"... no, definitely this is one of those water-breakings that you hear about but which most women don't seem to experience anymore.  In my bed, even.  Fun.
 
Hind sight is 20/20, however, and I feel the need to document a few things from Saturday that I recalled yesterday that make me think, "hmm, yah, that makes sense now."  Saturday morning I woke up feeling great and rested after a wonderful time spent with my quilting guild Friday night.  We had overnight company, and I chatted with her through breakfast, and then made sure she reached her destination around 8:30 am.  I arrived back home around 9:30 am, and already I was starting to feel off... almost sick, but not quite... bloated, but not quite... just... off.  I took Julia in the house to work on a few house projects and to start chili for dinner for that night.  We had to make a trip to the grocery store as well.  Just your normal mundane Saturday activities... done on my last leg, it felt.

My body seemed to be doing other things to prep itself for yesterday as well; thinking back on it all now, it is a neat and awe-inspiring (to me) if seemingly boring sort of events.

After lunch, I suddenly needed to Lay Down Right Now.  I did so, and slept (sort of) on the couch for an hour as Julia brought me books and toys and shoes and played peekaboo with me under the quilt.  When she laid down for her nap at 2 pm, I laid down too, and didn't wake up until 4 pm.  I still felt... well... terrible.  However, I had a few things I wanted to wrap up at Hospice, so I went there and did those few things, and then came home around 5:30 pm.  We ate dinner around 6:00 ish and then Julia and I ran to the store AGAIN for some milk.  Adam had to leave for his gig around 7:30 pm... we spent the last few minutes before he left "torturing" Julia by cutting her nails.

Though she seemed to recover well enough by the time he left, she was out of sorts the rest of the night and hunted around the house for Daddy.  She curled up on my lap and cried pretty much until I put her to bed at 8 pm, and she zonked right out (another one of those, duh, mom, she was tired and probably could have gone to bed sooner).  I started crying too at the thought that this would be the last night home with Julia before the baby was born (she was to stay with the babysitter last night).

I went back down to the basement, collapsed onto the couch, and puttered around on the computer till about 9:45 or so, when my computer conveniently died (battery) without telling me it was going to.  I decided that meant it was time to go to bed, and after reading Harry Potter #5 for about 20 minutes, I rolled over and passed out.

Adam had a gig Saturday night, and he came home around 2 am.  Not-so-quietly replacing my TUMS on my night stand (by him) caused me to startle awake and I remember asking him who he was and all of such other nonsense.  I went back to sleep... and that leads us up to the 4:45 ish wake-up call.

I only had two things on my list that I hadn't completed for this week... install the car seat and wash our bed sheets.  (This last weekend, in my nesting flurry, I wrote myself out a list of all of the things I absolutely wanted to be done this last week... it was an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper and it was my guide for the week and it was COVERED... I think I accomplished more in one week than I did in my entire pregnancy... ha!)  Well, we managed to install the car seat on the way to the hospital yesterday morning... and, well... the "whoosh" pretty much dictated that Adam would be learning how to use the washer and dryer and wash the sheets if he wanted to sleep in our bed again before I was home and had enough energy to take on the task myself.  :)
 
Check, check.  List complete.  :)
 
Off for my cat nap... I will probably be back later with more blog posts...

love,
erin

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

It was wonderful to see you guys at such a special time in your lives, thanks for letting me share in that! Kisses to all - Auntie Chrissy

Katie said...

How fun that your body was getting you ready all day and you were getting your stuff done just in time! Hope you are getting lots of naps in now! Give a hug to your girls for me. :)

Christan = ) said...

Erin--you totally brought me back to my third delivery. My body went thru the same readiness that yours did before my water broke. It is such an amazing experience.
Hope Adam did ok with the sheets!
Julia was onto you...seems like she sensed something was up!
Congrats!!
Ha, my word verification has amen in it!