Monday, September 28, 2009

Caillou

I'm posting this for my own sake as much as for anyone else's... I want to remember this and if I don't write it down somehow, I might forget...!

A few months ago, when I would let Julia watch TV or a movie up in our room, she would start to say the words "une guy-you".  We thought that this was just Julia-speak for, "I want to watch a movie."  Without fail, we would hear her say these words when she wanted to watch a show on TV.

When I was in the hospital with Raven, Adam dropped Julia off at daycare one day, and when they walked in the door, Julia said, "guy-you!"  Linda (daycare lady) replied with (according to Adam), "You want to watch Caillou?"  Adam asked Linda if she was indulging Julia in her own language, and Linda informed him that each morning, the kids are allowed to watch "Caillou" on IPTV (PBS).  Finally... the mystery solved!  Julia was saying "Caillou!" the last couple of months, thinking that we would watch "Caillou" on TV and instead we've been placating her with Baby Einstein and They Might Be Giants DVDs (which she DOES love). 

Adam and I talked and decided to purchase a couple of "Caillou" DVDs for Julia.  Apparently she loves the show, and with her not being at daycare as much over the next couple of weeks, she was going to be missing out on a special part of her day.  Today the "Caillou" DVDs showed up, and tonight I asked Julia if she wanted to watch a movie.  She about beat me downstairs and said, "Caillou?"  I picked up the two DVDs we purchased and showed them to her... you would have thought she was going to faint with glee.  I popped in one of the DVDs, and wouldn't you know?  Julia KNOWS THE OPENING SONG and was bopping to and trying to sing along with the theme song.  The word "Caillou" is said over and over again in the song, and sure enough... that is DEFINITELY what Julia has been saying the last couple of months.  Thank goodness SOMEONE knows what she's saying... ha!

erin

2 comments:

Melinda said...

That's so cute! Gabe said Caillou for the longest time, and Phil and I knew the show but he had never watched it. We still haven't figured out what that particular word meant to him.

Unknown said...

Paige loves that show! Everyday at 11 she has to watch Caillou while I get lunch ready. Personally, I can't stand the show. I think the kid has the most annoying voice, but Paige doesn't seem to mind. Hope all is going well with you guys.