Thursday, June 25, 2009

California Vacation: Heading Home

Sunday was our last day in California. The kids did NOT sleep in for us... they were up well before 7 am and we mostly lazed around while they ate breakfast and tried not to hurt each other too much. Packing began that morning as well, as we were going to head out around noon to get lunch and then hit the airport.

My suitcase was a little full. Julia thought it was tremendously funny that I was sitting on it (and it took numerous Sits to get it shut), and she thought she needed to help out a bit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had lunch at Soup Plantation (yum! how fun! a soup and salad buffet!) and then went to the airport. After a hard good bye with Katie, we checked in for our flight. Wanda and I were not able to sit together (sadness) this time around, but I was able to get a seat in front of her.

Julia slept pretty much the entire flight from Orange County to Denver. Yay! We entered a holding pattern outside of Denver, though, that would potentially make us late for our connecting flights. Thankfully... kind of... our flights were delayed, and while Wanda's left about 30 minutes after we landed (and we had plenty of time to get her there), our flight continued to creep later and later...

Eventually, after eating dinner, Julia and I moseyed along to our gate, only to have to wait and wait and wait. Thankfully a saint of a family was there that fell in love with Julia, and their five year old (Ezra) kept Julia company and played with her until we were set to leave. We finally left at 9:30 pm (Mountain Standard Time). We arrived in Omaha a bit after 11:30 pm (Central Standard Time) and waited a bit for our luggage. It was so muggy in Omaha after experiencing the awesome California weather, and we sweated outside while waiting for the airport shuttle.

Sure enough, the same saint family was headed to the same long term lot as me, and the husband of the family was super sweet and helped me get my stuff on and off the shuttle, as the shuttle driver seemed to think I did not exist (HELLO. Pregnant woman with toddler and luggage. Ugh.). I should say that the shuttle driver I had on Wednesday was AWESOME and VERY helpful...! So, I was kind of miffed by this guy. However, the husband dude was awesome, and he even helped me get everything to my car as well...! YAY! I told him I should tip him and not the driver! (In case you are wondering, I didn't tip the driver...)

Then our long drive home began. Julia was asleep about five minutes into the drive, and I made it back to Pella in a little under three hours. (two quick stops... one for gas, one for coffee!) When we got home, it was 3:30 am, and I grabbed my carry-on and Julia and up to bed we went. Julia (thankfully!!!) never woke up once, and I found myself reading for a bit considering I was still working through the caffeine from the coffee.

I was glad to be home... but goodness, I do so miss my friends! It was a wonderful vacation and I am so very thankful to have met these gals, become good friends with them, and experience this wonderful vacation with them. Love you two!

erin

No comments: