Saturday, June 27, 2009

Bay-Bee

Sometimes when you have a child, she does something so incredibly cute that you need to stop and revel in it for a few minutes... and then, blog about it as quickly as you can! Hee!

Julia has known for months what a "baby" is... she points at pictures of babies, she has a number of "babies", and generally she loves babies. However, even though we call pictures and dolls and real babies, a "baby" or "babies", she has never said the word.

This morning we were cuddling and playing in my bed, and I decided I would try again to teach Julia that there was a baby in mommy's belly. Obviously the concept is a bit foreign for a 19-month-old, and even if she ever understands that there is a real baby in there, it won't be very real to her until that baby is in her house and using her things and whatnot... wow, what have we gotten ourselves into...?

At any rate, we were laying on the bed, and I pointed at my belly and said, "There's a baby in there." Julia would laugh and then proceed to slap my belly as hard as she could or poke it. We did this a few different times (and I tried each time to teach her to be gentle), and then I thought, well, I better ask her if she remembers what a "belly" is, because I don't want her confusing, "belly" with "baby". Sure, enough she slapped her own belly, then slapped mine again, and all was well.

During lunch, after Julia had finished, I figured I would catch up on my blog reading. I've been blogging a lot lately, and I've been a lot better at keeping up on my friends' blogs as well. Julia was standing near me, and I pulled up the blog of my friend from work, Bob. He recently posted that his son, Noah, turned 6 months old. He posted a picture of his son, Julia saw it, and said, "bayyyyyy-beeeeee." I squealed with glee that she had actually said "baby", and she proceeded to point at Noah and say "bayyyyyy-beeeeee" over and over again! It was so cute! I then pointed to some other pictures we had around the house of babies, and she kept saying "bayyyyyy-beeeeee" every time she saw a picture of a baby. How wonderful!

Then I asked her to go pick out one of her babies, and she headed towards her pile of dolls and stuffed animals... but she was waylaid by her sippy cup and brought that to me instead. Oh, well.

Thanks for your wonderful blog, Bob! And YAY, Julia says "baby" now!

erin

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Aww, so cute! Gabe just started saying baby the other day too. He pointed to a picture of one in a photo display at Walgreens and said, "Baby!" Then he pointed to a photo of a little African American girl and said, "Mom". Oh well, can't get them all right!