Thursday, March 19, 2009

What's for dinner?

When I was pregnant with Julia, the first time I noticed "morning
sickness" (experienced at 4:35 pm ish) was when I opened the
refrigerator to take out the lasagna I had prepped the day before for
dinner. The smell wafted out, hit me square in the nose, and had it
not been for my strong constitution, would have sent me straight to
the bathroom.

Suffice it to say, the smell (and thought) of lasagna had thoroughly
grossed me out in about 0..2 seconds.

However, we were having company for dinner that night, and seeing as
how I didn't have anything else to throw in the oven, in went the
lasagna. I choked it down and swore never to eat lasagna again.

Fast forward two years. I have only eaten lasagna twice since that
incident, and they were mainly vegetarian lasagnas, so they did not
have the same impact. Last night Adam suggested that we add lasagna
back into the menu rotation. The look on my face prompted a "What's
wrong with lasagna?" from Adam and I was forced to regale him with the
story from Pregnancy Past. I. Was. Not. Making. Or. Eating. Lasagna.

Today we decided to invite a friend over for dinner, and this morning
I was frantically searching my brain trying to determine what I might
possibly have in the house that could be thrown together and have it
appear as an Appealing Dinner. Nothing would come. Nothing sounded
good.

That L word started to chant into my head...

... make Lasagna... Adam likes it!
... make Lasagna... it's easy!
... make Lasagna... I bet Julia would eat it!
... make Lasagna... I bet Jesse will like it!
... make Lasagna... perfect excuse for garlic and cheese bread...!

SOLD.

So here I am, pregnant again, and preparing to make Lasagna yet again.
The "morning sickness" has all but passed and as long as it is
covered sufficiently, the smell shouldn't cause any unpleasant
reactions once it is introduced into the refrigerator.

So much for saying I would never eat or make it again.

erin

No comments: