Saturday, March 21, 2009

Seeing Red

For you Men of the World, this blog entry will probably make no sense to you.

For the Rest of You... here's hoping for a good laugh or at the very least, a little sympathetic nod of the head.

A few weeks ago I decided to start couponing. Not in a Big Bad Couponing Way -- I have no intention of stocking my shelves until they are overflowing with Things We Have Never Used In Our Lives on the off chance that we might use them -- but, I am willing to try new brands of products we always use -- Charmin is on sale? Sure, we can use Charmin. Dove Body Wash? Sounds like a winner. Huggies instead of Pampers and I can get those Huggies at 1/3 the cost of the Pampers? Sold.

So far, I'm pretty happy with some of the deals I've gotten. Relatively "good" shampoo for $0.99. A big bottle of Dawn dish soap for $0.99. A bottle of Spray 'n Wash for $1.00. These are all things I love and my goodness, have been spending on the order of $2.50 - 3.50 per bottle for the last X years... ludicrous!

Last week I decided I was going to scour the ads for coupons for razors -- yes, the razors you use to shave hair off one's body. I had run out, and while I had been using the Rather Expensive Variety, I was willing to sacrifice and try something new for the sake of the budget.

Now whether you know much about razors or not, they have come a long way, baby. And while I sometimes think the general public is fooled by how great the swiveling head and multiple blades must be, I have to admit, the better the razor, the better the shave AND the longer the razor lasts. So, you really DO need to compare quality vs. cost in this case.

BUT... I had a $2.00 off coupon for the Bic Soleil , and based on the original price, one had to imagine they were relatively okay razors. Imagine my surprise when I found they were ON CLEARANCE at Wal-Mart, so with my coupon, I was able to buy these razors at 1/4 the original cost! Oh, joy! Oh, rapture! I had just saved our family money on something I desperately needed!

And then I shaved.

Ladies, I am proof that the swivel or tilting head DOES do wonders for ones lumpy and bumpy legs. Little did I know that the lack of this razors mobility would cause it to not just remove the hair from my legs, but also level each and every tiny little bump, resulting in a Spot of Red Otherwise Known as Blood. I can't say that it hurt very much, but you all know what a pain in the behind it is to deal with bleeding legs after a shower. At any rate, it was not a overly fun experience, though the shave WAS relatively smooth.

Now, this will not deter me from buying the razors that are a good deal. Saving money is more important right now than worrying about a few nicks here and there. But just know, in the world of razors, you ARE getting what you pay for.

erin

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I was suckered in by the Bic Soleil too! They did the exact same thing to me. Blood everywhere. Terrible razor!

Unknown said...

Welcome to the world of coupons. I have become the coupon queen since I had Paige. You don't happen to have a CVS Pharmacy do you? I get really good deals there with there extra care card and coupons.