Saturday, April 2, 2011

Hello, Old Friend

Last night my friend Janice and her daughter Hazel came over for a quick dinner and to hang out for the evening.  They arrived ~6:30 pm and stayed till ~11:30 pm.  It was great to watch the girls try to impress Hazel and to generally act nuts because Someone Besides Us Was In the House, Hallelujah! 
After we put the kids to bed (girls in their room, Hazel in a Pack 'n Play in the guest room), Janice suggested that she whip out her current hand project and that I knit. 
 
Knit?  KNIT???  Knit.
 
Along with not blogging much for almost two months, I have only knitted ~4 rows on a hat in the last two months.  Much of this is due to being busy.  Okay, ALL of this is due to being busy.  Single mom, working full-time, but still taking Fridays "off", looking for jobs, working on resume, looking for more jobs, interviewing... that results in busyWhelmed.  Very much so.
 
What a great idea Janice had!  Knitting!
 
(Side bar: You should see Janice's project -- a super fabulous applique quilt with her own version of "Hawaiian" flowers and volcanoes... it is simply fantastic!)
 
So, last night I pulled out this fabulous royal blue/purple/somewhere in between yarn that Chrissy and I had picked up at Crazy Girl some odd months ago.  Like, MANY months ago.  I'm pretty sure the yarn is Malabrigo, something ridiculously expensive, to which I was drawn and could not remove myself.  I decided that such a fantastic yarn should be used on a project for yours truly, something I haven't done in a very long time.
 
I had found a pattern for fingerless gloves or wristlets or whatever you want to call them.  The pattern gave me the general idea, but honestly, after casting on the number of stitches required, I just went off on my own thing.  Today I need to count/figure out what I did so I can make a second one!  Ha!
 
I cast on 35 stitches, which was for a L/XL, but about 1/3 of the way up I decreased 4 stitches because it was obvious that the glove would be too big for me.  I'm still trying to decide whether I want to put a thumb "sock" on it; the original pattern didn't call for one and I didn't think I would want one, but I think it would make them look classier.  *grin*
 
The first one took ~3 hours while chatting and my stitches, while even, are a little rusty... time to get back at it!  :)  Looking forward to pumping out another one very soon so I have a pair.
 
erin

No comments: