Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Good Byes are Hard

In case you didn't already know that.
 
Today was Raven's 18 month checkup with our fave doc, Dr. C., and Nurse Joan.  It had been scheduled for next week, but I moved it up to this week because of all of our activities next week.
 
(Turns out that it was a godsend that I did because Nurse Joan realized that I would need a bunch of papers -- physical reports, vaccine reports, etc. -- to enroll the kids in a new daycare, and since that is my goal next Monday, well THANK GOODNESS that we now have those.  She is a rockstar and went and made copies of everything for me.  Yay!)
 
Raven is doing well, even though both kids have colds.  Raven was 24 lbs 8 oz (~45th percentile), 33 inches tall (~80th percentile), and has a nice-middle-of-the-road head.  Because she is super laid back, she was awesome with her weight and height checks and generally tried to tear up the doctor's office.
 
However... the point of my post comes to this... I had no idea that it would be so hard to say good bye to a doctor and a nurse.  While I love them both dearly, we don't see them that often -- I have maybe taken the kids in a handful... okay... less than a handful of times in the last 3.5 years.  So our main visits have included pregnancy checkups and baby/kid checkups, etc., but even those are only every so often.  But, they know us.  They have been a part of our lives for some time, they have known my children from the day of their birth... and it feels like the end of something good.  That part was very hard.  Knowing that.  Hugging and crying and saying good bye.  All of that was very hard.
 
And it is hard explaining to a 3 year old.  Julia is known for taking on my phrasing, and as late, she says, "See ya later!" a lot (because that is what I say!).  So she said to Nurse Joan today, "See ya later!" and I said, "No, you need to say good bye because we are moving."  Wow, moving is such a big concept for a kid.  Anyway.  I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing today, but suffice to say that my heart broke a little bit today and I know it's only the beginning.
 
erin

No comments: