Monday, November 9, 2009

P is for Potty

I wonder some days if Julia is going to read the blog posts I write about her and be Utterly Mortified.  The potential is there, I guess...

At any rate, while we are not formally potty training in our house, and really that to Julia, the three toilets in our home are closer to that of a "toy" than a means for... uh, elimination... we can report that Julia actually enjoys sitting on the "potty" (the BIG potty; she has no use for miniature thrones) and is not scared of it one bit.  She has been sitting and playing on the toilet for a few months now, but I don't think anything has remotely accidentally happened while she has sat there.

So, it was with pleasure this last weekend that I realized that she was starting to tell me when she either had to go or had already gone.  Then she proceeds to repeat the word "potty" about 50 million times until someone takes her there.  This usually happens while I'm nursing Raven.  Somewhat of dilemma there.

However, Adam was able to catch Julia during one of these instances and SHE PEED ON THE TOILET!  Yay!  We high-fived her and congratulated her and praised her left and right and we EVEN GAVE HER A COOKIE.  Oh, yes.  We were all about positive reinforcement when that happened.  We talked for a few minutes about whether this could be the start of her training and all sorts of potty-related business.

Then, about 10 minutes later, a horrid smell began to emanate throughout the living room.
 
Yes, she pooped in her fresh diaper.  And didn't tell us. 

Ha!  Oh, well!  :)  Regardless, it feels like a good start.

erin

ps.  Upon writing the word "congratulated", I wondered if anyone else is as annoyed as I am when people write "congraDulated" or "congraDulations"?  This has been a big Pet Peeve of mine lately.  But I digress.

No comments: