Monday, November 2, 2009

Cooking with Beer: Morimoto's Soba Beer Chicken

A few months or so ago, Adam found a recipe in a magazine of his for Morimoto's Soba Beer Chicken.  We decided to make this for dinner one night... he was in charge of finding the beer and I took care of the rest.

First we had meant to make this the night before we were to go to the hospital to have Raven... but she came about 23 hours early.  Then we were supposed to make this a few weeks after she was born... but then my gall bladder acted up.  Finally I made it for dinner a week ago yesterday, and it was pretty good!

I would change a few things, though... for one, you don't need to use a whole chicken.  I totally would use chicken strips/fingers/breast pieces instead of cutting up a whole chicken.  A whole chicken is messy and has bones and skin and all sorts of nastiness, and for the cost, it's worth buying the pre-cut/bone-removed/skin-removed chicken.

Also, I couldn't find fingerling potatoes or white soy sauce for the life of me... but I found a small and tasty variety of potato at our local grocery store and I simply used regular soy sauce.

This dish definitely has the flavor of the Orient in it, and it is on the sweet side at that.  However, the white sauce (which is tangy) really cuts the sweet of the sauce on the chicken and this dish is definitely delish.  I would definitely be up for making this dish another time, and I think it would be easier and much less mess as well.

(Sadly enough, I made this dish this same night that our kitchen sink backed up, and here I sat with what seemed like half of all of our pots and pans and dishes full of sweet goo and no dishwasher... or sink! Ha!)

erin

No comments: