Saturday, May 16, 2009

Looking Back

When I look back on this last week, this is what I see: frustration, irritation, discord. I try to look back and think about ways in which I have loved and serve others, but instead all I remember are the ways I was disserved by and frustrated with my job, unloved and misunderstood by my friends, and laughed at by the constant rain.
Suffice it to say, by the end of the week, I was in a foul mood.

Matthew 25:34 - 45 says...

Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

Then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?

The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.

Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.

They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirst or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?

He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.

How shameful my heart is when I remember my feelings from this last week, when I remember my foul mood.

Not only are there heavenly blessings apparent in this Scripture, but earthly ones as well -- for you, for me, and for those around us. If I had only been looking outward instead of inward, I would have been serving and blessing my fellow man. If I had only been looking outward instead of inward, I would have experienced more joy, contentment, and peace in my life.

Instead of expecting to be served and kept content by my job, I would have given everything in me to do a good job and feel blessed that I even have a job. Instead of dwelling on my friendships and whether there was any disaccord there, I would have tried harder to love, listen, and be a better friend to those around me. And, instead of cursing the rain, I should have thanking and praising God for his beautiful creation.

Next week I plan to change my focus. I know it will be difficult; I heard similar words to these two weeks ago and obviously they did not sink in that well. I hope to listen instead of expecting to be listened to, serve instead of expecting to be served, love instead of expecting to be loved, give of myself instead of expecting to receive. I want to set my heart on Christ. I am asking him to change your vision -- to focus my sight on the world around me instead of on myself.

I am asking God to give me his eyes, his love, his heart, so that I might see all that I have been missing and serve his kingdom.

"Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath
Look down from a broken sky
Traced out by the city lights
My world from a mile high
Best seat in the house tonight

Touch down on the cold black top
Hold on for the sudden stop
Breath in the familiar shock
Of confusion and chaos

All those people going somewhere
Why have I never cared

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me you heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah

Step out on a busy street
See a girl and our eyes meet
Does her best to smile at me
To hide what's underneath
There's a man just to her right
Black suit and a bright red tie
Too ashamed to tell his wife
He's out of work, He's buying time

All those people going somewhere
Why have I never cared

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me you heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah

I've been here a million times
A couple of million eyes
Just move and pass me by
I swear I never thought that I was wrong
Well I want a second glance
So give me a second chance
To see you the way you've seen the people all along

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me you heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me you heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah

No comments: