Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter Zombie?

Last night while I was making dinner, Julia and I were discussing Easter. She goes to a secular daycare, and so while they are discussing Easter with the kids, they focus on bunnies and eggs and obviously don't touch Jesus. Julia and Raven were very excited about the prospect of dyeing eggs at school today, and I wanted to make sure there was some understanding that Easter wasn't just about eggs and bunnies.

So, I said to Julia last night, "you know what Easter is about, right?" She said, "eggs?" I said, "Easter is about Jesus. Jesus died on the cross and then he rose again and we celebrate Him dying for us for our sins, vanquishing the devil, and rising again as He said he would."

She looks at me with wide eyes and says, "Dead? He died? Like dead? Someone killed him? Killed him dead?"

I said, "Yes, dead, the Romans killed him, but then he came back to life."

"Oh," she says matter-of-factly. "Like a zombie."

Umm... .............. umm.

So, now, how do you explain to a 4-year-old who is aware of what zombies are, and knows who Jesus is, and somehow strings them together, what being dead and raising again but NOT being a zombie is?

So we talked a bit more about Jesus. What He did for us. And then later I said, "So, Julia, what is Easter about?"

"Jesus, and eggs."

Okay, kid. Good enough for today.

Erin

No comments: