Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolution: Lose Weight: Part 2: Resistance/Strength Training

In my last post I mentioned that I will be doing strength training 3 times a week.  I thought I would post about my strength training plan in case anyone was interested what it entails.

The strength training program is known as the Quick Set Program.  There are two different types of Quick Set; a Decline and a Pause Set.  You can choose to do either.

I choose to do the Pause Set.  It goes:
1.  8 - 10 reps at weight -- Do these reps quickly.  It is important to choose a weight where you can *just* do 8 - 10 reps; if you can do 12 or more, your weights are too light and if you can only do 6 or 7 reps, your weights are too heavy.
2.  6 second pause
3.  Same weight to failure -- Again, do these reps quickly.
4.  6 second pause
5.  Same weight to failure -- Again, do these reps quickly.

I will be doing my weight training on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  On Mondays I will work my back, biceps, shoulders, and abs.  On Wednesdays I will work my chest, triceps, legs, and abs.  Fridays will be a mix of both.

--------------------------------------------------------

So... to recap...

Mondays: Strength Training and Surge Training
Tuesdays: Low Intensity Aerobic Exercise
Wednesdays: Strength Training and Surge Training
Thursdays: Low Intensity Aerobic Exercise
Fridays: Strength Training and Surge Training
Weekend: Hang out with my Family!

In case you are wondering... a long walk with the dog or friends, a bike ride with the kids, aggressively mowing the lawn... as long as those things raise the heartate to 55 - 75% of your maximum heart rate (220 - [your age]), you are technically doing the Low Intensity Aerobic Exercise.  I will be looking forward to summer where on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I am home with the girls, I can swap out the morning workouts for fun bike rides and such with them. 

erin

No comments: