Thursday, August 4, 2011

First Night

Last night (Wednesday, 8/3) was the first night we stayed at our new house. How VERY exciting! I picked the girls up from school after a quick shopping trip to Macy’s and Target (YAY, I FINALLY found shower curtains for both bathrooms that I liked, and without a day to spare!). I told them we were headed to the new house and Julia was about to burst with excitement; she couldn’t wait to go!

On Sunday when we did our massive shopping trip to Lowe’s to buy a lawnmower and other Important Home Items (How does one not have these things already? Well, we left the fire extinguishers at the old house, etc.), we also stopped by Target for… wow… I cannot remember. Shower curtains? (Apparently the shower curtains on 144th are better than those at the Kipling Target.) Either way, as we trolled the aisle, I noticed new girl bedding and Julia immediately honed in on the Tangled bedding.

You might recall that Julia received Princess bedding for Christmas last year thanks to my Midnight Shopping Trip with Adam’s lovely Aunt Theresa for Black Friday (CAN’T WAIT TO GO AGAIN, T!!!). Now with Raven being moved to a big girl bed, we needed a second set of bedding, and since Raven loves ANYTHING Julia loves, we allowed Julia to pick out new bedding and she bequeathed the Princess bedding to Raven. So, now we have a general Disney Princess bed and a Disney Tangled bed. (Daddy is so happy. The pink bursting from the room is nearly suffocating him. Good thing that he has The Dungeon, The Garage, The Packers Room, and someday, The Workshop.)

With great fanfare, I outfitted the girls’ beds last night with mattress pads and sheets and pillows and blankets, and you can see the result above. Don’t they look happy! Not only was this going to be the First Night in the New House, this was also Raven’s First Night in a Big Girl Bed! Julia, who normally doesn’t want to have anything to do with going to bed, nearly fainted with glee when I told her it was time for bed. She quickly scrambled under her new Tangled comforter and settled right in. Raven took a bit more coaxing, but within five minutes (!!!!!), she was situated as well. I kissed them both good night and gave them tucked hugs. Julia said a few times, “Mom, I’m not scared” – more to reassure herself than me, I guess. They both slept beautifully last night and Raven was still asleep and in her bed when I left this morning.

First night? Success.

Oh, and last night… well, last night was the first night that I’ve slept in our king-size bed since April… umm… cue the angels, please. That is a bit of heaven right there. Forgot how much I loved that bed!

Erin

ps. For those wondering, the bed frames are different sizes because this is actually a bunked set that Adam built ~2 years ago. We decided to leave them un-bunked for a few reasons: 1.) Julia’s not quite ready for the top bunk yet, even with a rail, 2.) Raven is not ready for the top bunk, period, 3.) Raven is our Little Spitfire and would be up and down that ladder a million times if we let her, and I’m not ready to deal with ladders yet.

pps. Forgive the horrible lighting. As mentioned above, the sheer pinkness might be a bit overpowering, but I promise the carpet is tan and not pink. The beds are white. And the walls are a beautiful, beautiful pink. :)

No comments: