Friday, April 3, 2009

The Twilight Zone

Yesterday I decided that I needed a movie break and popped over to a
Redbox and rented "Twilight".

I doubt very much that I have blogged about the Twilight Series by
Stephenie Meyer; I don't often write about the books I read.

I read them in succession (the first three, anyway) soon after Julia
was born and then read the fourth this last summer / fall.

No doubt, you may have heard, the books are highly addicting and I was
through them in a flash. Meant for the young adult genre (YA
fiction), I was slightly taken aback by some of what I felt was "too
adult" in the books for young teenagers to be reading, but regardless,
I enjoyed the books thoroughly. Even though I don't think the writing
was on the same level as that of J.K. Rowling, Steven King, or even
Anne Rice, I don't dispute the fact that the books have created a
large fan base and that the readability and subject matter lend to a
really good series of books for the general public.

I anxiously anticipated the release of "Twilight", the movie, but
after some initial research, I was in disagreement with the selection
of actors/actresses and then when I started hearing reviews after the
movie came out, I stopped wanting to see it so badly.

However, yesterday it seemed like a good way to kill two hours and I
thought it might be enjoyable. So... here are my thoughts.

1. Even though it is almost always too hard to put every key aspect
of a book into a movie, I feel that the writers/directors picked
applicable scenes to set the stage for the mood of the movie and to
create possibilities for sequels. There wasn't "enough" of the book
in the movie for me, but then, RARELY is there ever "enough" of any
book in any book-to-movie I have seen. (Exceptions: "The Lion, Witch,
and the Wardrobe"... "Contact"...)

2. The lighting in the film was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Absolutely
beautiful. Throughout the movie I was struck over and over again by
how beautifully they lit the movie. The mood the lighting set was
spot on.

3. After my initial disgust over who was cast as the main
actor/actress of the movie, I would retract those judgements and say
that Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson both did an amazing job and
excellently portrayed Bella and Edward. I now completely understand
why all girls under the age of 18 (and some over) are head over heels
for Robert Pattinson. Between the lighting, makeup, and style, he was
a perfect Edward. And, Kristen Stewart did a beautiful job as Bella.
I also think that the lighting and makeup did their best to make her
stand out among the crowd and yet portray her character as Stephenie
Meyer did in the books.

4. I didn't particularly like who was cast for Jasper or Carlisle. I
understand that Jasper was supposed to be a "new" vampire and was
meant to look dazed a bit, but he didn't need to look like a moron.
And, the actor playing Carlisle resembled Tom Cruise's Lestat TOO
closely that for about 5 seconds, I almost wondered if it wasn't Tom
Cruise again. I knew it wasn't, but the resemblance was uncanny and I
had a hard time getting past it.

5. I didn't like the "fast-forward/flashing" motion type of stuff
done with the vampires to show that they were "fast". I understand
WHY it was done, but I don't think it was necessary for the movie to
be successful.

6. The setting in general, though, was beautiful for the whole movie.
I think that the writers/directors/whomevers did a really great job
utilizing the setting in the movie -- it wasn't JUST a setting... it
WAS truly part of the movie, and I really enjoyed that.

7. I admit I was fearful that seeing this movie would completely
destroy my the "world" I had created in my head around Stephenie
Meyer's books. Too often, the ideas of others don't match my own when
it comes to what I see in my head. For example, I am one of the few,
but I dislike the Harry Potter movies. The first movie completely
destroyed everything I had created in my head, and I stopped reading
the books and watching the movies after the second movie came out. It
was simply not what I had seen in my head and I couldn't get past it.
(One of these days I will go back and read the books and watch the
movies and I'm sure I'll be "over" it by then.) So, I was pleasantly
surprised when I watched this movie and realized that my "world" was
NOT destroyed and actually the movie only enhanced it. YAY!

It is obvious that I should not be a movie critic, but I wanted to
share some of my thoughts on Twilight. I am actually glad that I
watched it and will put it on my "movies" to own list. I had to keep
from watching it a second time last night, that's how much I enjoyed
it. So, I would give this one a 4 out of 5. And, even though book #2
wasn't my favorite in the series, I will look forward to the sequel
coming out this fall.

erin

No comments: