Sunday, July 7, 2013

Baptism Gown

My dear mother-in-law made the baptism gown for my girls, so it seemed fitting for me to make one for someone else.  A few months ago my sister asked if I would be willing to make a baptism gown for a friend hers using said friend’s wedding gown, and since I’d never done that before, I said certainly, why not?

This is the result.

Very happy with how it turned out; thankful I was able to reuse the majority of the dress and the applique / beading that was originally on it.  I only had to purchase a lining for the skirt.  I even reused the zipper from the original dress in the back; no zippers or buttons added!  Sweet!  All in all, it was an awesome “first gown” project; I thought it would be more difficult than it was, but really, you just commit to destroying a wedding dress and hope that something spectacular results.

2013-07-04 baptism gown (5)

2013-07-04 baptism gown (1)

2013-07-04 baptism gown (2)

2013-07-04 baptism gown (7)

2013-07-04 baptism gown (10)

I used McCall’s 3063 Baby Baptism Christening Gown, Suit, Romper, Bonnet for the pattern.  (For those wondering, yes, after a point, I gave up on the pattern and figured it out the rest of the way “my own way.”)

Erin

No comments: