Monday, September 24, 2012

A Child’s Vocabulary

Two words are in heavy use for both Julia and Raven’s vocabulary of late, and I can only attribute it to daycare (though if I pay attention to myself more, maybe I’ll find that it’s me?).

Those words are: “actually” and “serious”

I laugh often when they think up ways to use them.  A few examples…

I am making dinner and Raven says to me, “Can I have a banana?  Cheese?”  I say, “With dinner.”  “What is dinner?”  “We’re having ravioli with chicken.”

Raven: “I don’t love that chicken actually.”

This morning, while getting ready for daycare, Raven is joking around, laughing, and generally having a good time.  She says, “Mommy, I am funny!” 

Julia: “You’re not funny.  This is serious.”

(Goodness help me if I can tell you what was serious about it, and I then joined Raven in her giggling, much to Julia’s chagrin.)

You will hear these words in conversation daily… something actually, something serious.  Typically used correctly.  Much time spend recalling conversations with Adam and having a good laugh as our kids continue to grow and learn and expand their world.

erin

No comments: