Friday, June 28, 2013

Update 6/28

Today I had an appointment with Dr. B at the Rocky Mountain Cancer Center; what I first learned was that the bone marrow biopsy confirmed what we already knew – I definitely have CML (chronic myeloid leukemia).  One of the neat / interesting (but not good) things I learned was that your marrow is typically 60 – 70% cells and the rest fat, and this reduces cell-wise as you age and increases in fat – well, my marrow was 100% cells, and that means the mutated white blood cells are crowding out the good.  They also did a test of my white blood cells and 17 of 20 had the Philadelphia Chromosome, which is one of the tell tale signs of CML.

All that being said, it was also confirmed that I am in the chronic phase (earliest), and being a newly diagnosed patient and being chronic, I am able to apply for the drug trial.  I filled out paperwork today (with Anna in tow), and Monday I go in for an ECHO, EKG, and blood work to start the trial.  I follow up with an appointment next Friday; I’m not sure yet when or what happens on Friday… we’ll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the well wishes!  Other than being fatigued regularly (which is a side effect of life, kids, work, and the CML), I’m doing well.  The fatigue isn’t going away any time soon and it’s been with me pretty solidly since March, so I’m already over it and have accepted it for what it is and move on anyway.  The prayers and support mean SO very much – thank you so much! 

Love,
Erin

No comments: